Monday, October 8, 2012

Worst Boat Ride

Photo taken from here

I experienced my WORST boat ride ever last Thursday night from Mersing Jetty to Dayang Island. The boat ride was supposed to be 4 hours but we were hit with a massive storm and it took roughly 4.5 to 5 hours.

IT WAS TORTURE!

I sat on the top deck to get fresh air at the early stages of the boat ride because it was too stuffy downstairs. Eventually we realised that it was going to be too long a boat ride to just sit around and we needed our rest for the upcoming dives. So we got out our sleeping bag, spread it on the floor and tried to get some rest. 
About an hour or two later it starts raining and the sleeping bags and us included were drenched.

So the logical move was to move downstairs for some cover.. WORST DECISION MADE!

The moment we went down we were hit by the fumes from the engine. That coupled with the manic rocking of the boat were just the perfect formula to throw up!

The rain subsided slightly and we decided we would go back upstairs because downstairs was just making us feel worse.

It still continued to pour and got really cold about 3 hours into the ride. I decided to bunk in in the Skipper’s cabin along with 2 others from our group.

Sprawled out on the floor, I just tried to get a spot on the floor where I could force myself to sleep.

So many on the boat were taking their turns at throwing up in the toilet or out the side of the boat.

The moment we hit the island, it was such a relief. But the float-y and pukey feeling stayed with me the whole of the next day which unfortunately only allowed me to do 2 dives instead of 4 dives.

Thank God I felt much better the following day and managed to do all the 4 dives I wanted to.
I’ve been on many boat rides before, but this undoubtedly was the worst ever for me. I met some guys on the trip that said this ride was mild compared to others that they have been in. Whoa, I don’t think I can handle any worse a boat ride than this. 

No comments: