Friday, September 30, 2011

Macaroons anyone?

I finally went for my Macaroon class on the 24th Sept. The voucher expired a couple of months back but the person teaching the class was nice enough to extend the due date for me as we both had a miscommunication on my earlier set date for the class which caused me to miss the class. The new date fell on J's birthday but I decided to still go for it, didn't want to take the risk in case he doesn't organize another class. 

The class was small, only 3 students plus 1 teacher. So we paired up and I was paired with the teacher as the other 2 students were a mother-daughter duo.

I decided to make a strawberry flavored macaroons and the other duo a coffee flavored macaroons. We also made 2 different fillings - chocolate mint and salted butter caramel. 



The process of making the macaroon is simple enough however the trick is to finding the right heat for your oven. My macaroon batch were the first to go in the oven and they turned out well however the 2nd batch of the coffee macaroons cracked as the oven was too hot. I now need to find the right heat for my oven at home to bake my macaroons so that they will come out perfect and not cracked up.


I was not very keen on the fillings that I learnt though, felt that there was too much going on.

Strawberry macaroons + Mint Chocolate fillings = too many flavors blended together

Plus the fillings turned out too watery and I had to put the macaroons in the fridge. This kinda changed the texture and flavor of it a little.

I'm going to try making my mum's recipe for the ganache filling and google up some other cool recipes for fillings.

Will distribute out that batch if it turns out well. 

No comments: